Feeling like a little fish……………..
Yield: 6 Portions
Orange- Thyme Butter
Butter, softened 1/2 cup
Almonds, blanched and ground 4 Tbs
Orange juice, fresh 2 Tbs
Thyme leaves, fresh 2 tsp
Orange zest 1 tsp
Salt as needed
Ground black pepper as needed
Salmon fillets, skin removed 6 each about 6 oz.
Lemon, juiced 1
Vegetable oil (for brushing) as needed
1. Blend the butter with the ground almonds, orange juice, thyme, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place on a piece of plastic wrap. Roll into a I-inch diameter cylinder and secure the ends by twisting. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
2. Preheat a gas grill to medium; leave one burner off, If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it bum down until the coals are glowing red with a moderate coating of white ash. Spread the coals in an even bed on one side of the grill. Clean the cooking grate.
3. Season the fish with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Brush evenly with oil.
4. Grill each salmon fillet to the desired doneness (usually medium).
5. Top each fillet with a slice of the orange-thyme butter. Place into a hot oven or pass under a broiler just long enough to begin melting the butter.
6. Serve immediately on a warm platter.
WILD RICE PILAF WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
Dried cranberries 1/4 cup
Dry white wine 5 Tbsp
Butter 3 Tbsp
Onion, diced 1/4 cup
Wild rice 1 1/2 cups
Chicken stock 2 cups (hot stock)
Apple cider 1 1/2 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Ground black pepper 1/4 tsp
Shallots, unpeeled 2
Salt as needed
1. Plump the cranberries in the wine for about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Cook the onions until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and toast lightly, about 1 minute.
3. Add the reserved cranberry liquid, stock, apple cider, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover the pot tightly. Cook in a 35o degree oven until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour. The rice may also be cooked over low heat on the stovetop.
4. Place the unpeeled shallots on a bed of coarse salt in 375°oven until exterior is very crisp, about 20 minutes. Allow the shallots to cooL Remove the skin and then shred the flesh.
5. Combine the cooked wild rice with the plumped cranberries, and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
6. Garnish with the roasted, shredded shallots.